Wednesday, March 26, 2014

How London Changed Me


It's been almost 3 full months since I have returned from my semester abroad and travelling. During my time abroad, I never really had the chance to realize the things I learned while there. Ever since setting foot back on U.S. soil, I have constantly thought about my experiences and the things I learned. In my eyes, studying abroad in London could have never been a bad experience because it was something I wanted to do for so long. Even with some of the expectations I carried, everything lived up to its expectations and went beyond what I hoped it would be. Not only did I grow and learn so much in those months abroad, but what I have now come to realize is how much my time abroad changed me.

Before the 3.5 months in London, I...
  • Absolutely hated the rain, gloomy weather, and anything below 65 degrees Fahrenheit. 
  • Never could imagine myself living somewhere outside of Los Angeles or London
  • Had my heart set on working in the baseball industry once I graduate college
So how have I changed? 
  1. I don't hate the rain or gloomy weather-- I actually love it. Warm weather isn't so bad, but it's safe to say that I would rather be somewhere that isn't so warm all the time. The reason why people from Southern California complain about "cold" weather is because we are never dressed for it. We all know that come noon, the sun will be out, bright and shining like it was always there. Being in London taught me to dress for the colder weather, making those temperatures seem like nothing. Some people might find it a hassle, but I loved being able to bundle up and wear my sweaters and beanies. 
  2. I actually want to get out of LA once I graduate. I never though I would ever hear myself say that, but I want to see more of the world, not just by travelling but also by living in different places. My ultimate goal is to somehow get back to London and live there, but in between now and then, I want to get out of LA, wherever that may be. I want to be somewhere that gets cold, snows, and has actual seasons. There's just something about the fall leaves, snow in the winter, perfect spring weather, and actually appreciating the summer weathers and the times spent in the water. 
  3. While I would still love to work in the baseball industry, that is no longer my priority. While some sports are not my cup of tea, my ultimate goal right now is to work in the sports industry. I'm not sure what exactly I want to do, whether it be athlete marketing or something to do with events within sports, but I'm open to whatever comes my way, especially if it's related to sports. A huge reason why I had this change in heart is because of my desire to someday live in London. While I was in London and even before I studied abroad, I was always asked if I would want to live in London, and my response was always "Yes, but I want to work in baseball so I can't really live in London.". The moment those words came out of my mouth when I was in London, it really made me think about what was more important to me: working in baseball, or living in London. Who knows what the future will bring and I don't want to put myself within a box, but as of now, I want to have the opportunity to return to London, and focusing on baseball will not allow me to do so.
I never thought that studying abroad in London would change me, my outlook on life, and potentially my future so much. While these changes, particularly my thoughts on my future, scare me a lot, I'm so grateful for the changes I have been able to experience because I feel that it has broadened my view on life even more. It's almost as though I was stuck in a box before I left for London, and now I have broken free from that box since coming back from London. 

Who knew I would ever become a person that wants to get out of LA, love the cold and rain, and be okay not working in the baseball industry? Certainly not me. 

Cheers, 
Aya

No comments:

Post a Comment